
Escape to Paradise: Your Mekong Dream Awaits in Vientiane!
Escape to Paradise in Vientiane: My Mekong Dream… Almost! (A Review That's Honestly, Messily Me)
Okay, friends, let's talk about "Escape to Paradise: Your Mekong Dream Awaits," because… well, it almost delivered. Seriously, the promise of a Mekong dream in Vientiane got me all giddy. I envisioned myself floating in a pool with a cocktail, sun-kissed and worry-free. Did I get that? Sort of. Did I get a perfect hotel experience? Absolutely not. And that's okay! Because real life isn't perfect, and frankly, a perfect hotel review would be boring.
First Impressions & the Accessibility Angle (Let's Get Real, Folks)
Right off the bat, the title felt a bit much. "Paradise"? Let's see about that. Finding the place was easy enough, thankfully. Accessibility is key, and thankfully, they seem to get it. The website boasts about facilities for disabled guests, which is a huge plus. There's an elevator, always a welcome sight, but… and this is a big but… I didn't actually see any explicit ramps everywhere. I'd need to double-check that if I was relying on them. I'm not in a wheelchair but I travel with my elderly mother and will need to check the accessibility rating to be certain.
Internet, Internet Everywhere! But Does It Work?
Alright, let's get to the internet situation because, let's face it, we all need to be connected! They boast Free Wi-Fi in all rooms! And, hooray, it was true! I'm talking Wi-Fi in public areas, too. And even Internet access – LAN if you’re into wired things. But like, does any of it actually work consistently? Well, mostly. There were a few moments where I felt like I was back in the dial-up era, desperately refreshing a page. This is a pet peeve! I need my internet! So, it's a mixed bag, sadly. Make sure you check the speed yourself!
The Room: A Mixed Bag of Comfort & Quirks
So, the rooms. Air conditioning, yes! Praise be! Alarm clock, check. Coffee/tea maker, double-check! It's those little things. But…the blackout curtains weren't the best. I woke up bright and early every single day, partly because of the sun, partly because I was excited for breakfast [buffet] (more on that later). I'm non-smoking and that was fine. Cleanliness and safety seemed on point. Room sanitization opt-out available which is super, especially in these post-pandemic times.
Honestly, the room felt like a comfortable, well-worn pair of shoes. Not luxurious, per se, but perfectly serviceable. And hey, daily housekeeping’s always a plus. And the seating area was decent and the desk helped me actually do some work when I wasn’t exploring.
Food, Glorious Food (with a Few Hiccups)
THIS is where it got interesting. Let's kick off with the most anticipated part: the breakfast buffet. Seriously, I went in with such high hopes. And… it was good! Not life-changing, mind you, but good. There was the usual Asian breakfast fare, some Western cuisine in restaurant options. But the best part? The little egg station. I'm a sucker for egg stations! Side note: I didn’t see a designated vegetarian section which, in this day and age, felt a little off.
Dining, drinking, and snacking were all pretty accessible. There’s a restaurant (with A la carte in restaurant options), a Snack bar, and a Poolside bar. I sampled the International cuisine in restaurant and the Asian cuisine in restaurant, and both were fine. But the vibe? A little… sterile? Lacked some pizzazz. I'd recommend trying more local spots too.
I spent a decent amount of time at the poolside bar. Their Happy hour was decent. They also have Coffee/tea in restaurant. I wasn't always in my happiest of moods so I appreciated that.
The Spa & Relaxation Zone: My Personal Highlight!
Okay, now we're talking! This is where Escape to Paradise almost completely redeemed itself! They have a Spa, a Sauna and a Steamroom. I'm sold. The Massage was, hands down, the best part of my stay. I went for a Body scrub and a Body wrap. My skin felt like silk afterwards. I'd go back for just that!
For those into fitness, they have a Fitness center and a Gym/fitness. I’m really more of a “nap in the sun” kind of person, so I took advantage of the Swimming pool [outdoor].
Things To Do (Or Not Do, Depending on Your Mood)
Vientiane itself offers tons to do, but the hotel itself also tries to keep you busy!
- Things to do: They offered tips on local things to do, which was great.
Service & Convenience: The Good, the Bad, and the Slightly Baffling
The staff were, on the whole, friendly and helpful. They had a 24-hour Front desk, always a good sign. The Concierge was knowledgeable giving me a great rec on a place to get Coffee/tea in restaurant. The Luggage storage was super convenient.
There was a Dry cleaning, Laundry service, and Ironing service offered! This is a huge win!
The Cashless payment service was great.
Now, where the service faltered slightly was… well, the details. Like, sometimes there wasn’t enough towels. And one time, the room service [24-hour] was… slow. We're talking glacial pace. It can happen, right?
Cleanliness & Safety in a Post-Pandemic World (Important Stuff, Folks)
They seemed to be taking the health thing pretty seriously. They claim to use Anti-viral cleaning products, have Daily disinfection in common areas, and Sanitized kitchen and tableware items. Staff are supposedly trained in safety protocol, and there's Hand sanitizer everywhere. I definitely appreciated this.
Things that Almost Made Me Swoon (And Things That Didn’t)
- The Pool with View: It was stunning! Watching the sunset from there was magical.
- The Lack of Variety: The menu felt a little repetitive after a few days.
- The “Paradise” Factor: Okay, it wasn't quite paradise. It wasn't a disappointment, either. It was a great base.
The Verdict: Should You Escape?
Look, "Escape to Paradise" is a decent hotel. I'd recommend it if you want a solid, clean, comfortable base in Vientiane. Especially if you’re planning a trip with kids, you're probably going to love the Kids facilities and Babysitting service.
Here's My Honest Offer (Because I'm Not Perfect, And Neither Is This Hotel):
Book now and get:
- A Complimentary Massage Coupon! (Trust me, you'll need it after a long day of exploring!)
- Free Wi-Fi (when it works!)
- Discounted Cocktails at the Poolside Bar!
Why you should book?
- Relax: The spa and pool. Need I say more?
- Location, location, location: Great base to explore Vientiane!
- They're trying! I truly felt like the staff cared, even if things weren't always perfect
- Accessibility: They're making real strides in this area.
Keep in mind:
- Internet can be spotty. Be prepared to embrace the digital detox at times.
- "Paradise" is an exaggeration. Manage your expectations slightly.
- The food is good, but not transcendent. Explore the local options, too!
Overall Score: 7.5/10. It's good. It's not perfect, but it's definitely worth considering if you're planning a trip to Vientiane. And that massage alone… almost makes it paradise. Almost! 😉
Indonesian Paradise Found: Millennium Sirih Jakarta's Unforgettable Luxury
Okay, buckle up, buttercup, because this ain't your grandma's itinerary. We're diving headfirst into the Mekong Hotel in Vientiane, Laos, and it's gonna be less "smooth sailing" and more "slightly tipsy dinghy ride down a rapid." Consider yourself warned.
The Mekong Mashup: A Totally Unreliable Itinerary (But Hopefully Fun!)
Day 1: Arrival and A Glorious, Stupid Mango
- Morning (Sometime after the jet lag decides to let go): Arrive at Wattay International Airport (VTE). Pray to someone – anyone! – that my luggage made it. Last time I flew, my socks ended up in Reykjavik. Seriously.
- The Mekong Hotel Check-in Debacle: Okay, this first part's supposed to be smooth. Taxi to the hotel. I'm picturing a charming little place, you know? Vines climbing the walls, a gentle breeze, a… okay, reality check. Probably not. Pray it's at least clean. Check in. Try not to look like a complete idiot while fumbling with my Lao Kip. (I predict this will involve many, many apologies and a generous helping of fumbling.)
- Afternoon: The Mango Incident. This is the important part. I'm aiming for a walk down by the Mekong, just to get my bearings. But first, FOOD. Specifically, I'm on a mission to find the perfect mango. I saw a picture of one on Instagram the other day, and I haven't been able to think about anything else. Seriously, I've dreamt of that mango. This probably deserves its own movie. The mission? Acquire perfect mango. Eat perfect mango. Maybe get some papaya salad while I'm at it. Probably sweat a lot.
- Evening: Sunset Shenanigans and Night Market Navigation: Okay, so sunset over the Mekong is supposed to be Instagram-worthy. We'll see. My phone's battery life is always a gamble. Find a spot to watch it, try to avoid the hordes of selfie-stick wielding tourists (which, let's be honest, might be me), and then… Night Market! This is where things get dicey. I'm pretty sure I will buy something I don't need, and I will definitely haggle. Pray I don't offend anyone. This is where I will probably find a Beer Lao. This is a good thing.
Day 2: Temples, Tuk-Tuks, and the Aftermath of the Mango
- Morning: Temple Time…and a Very, Very Early Wake-Up: Okay, I should go see some temples. The golden ones. I'm thinking That Luang (I'm probably butchering the pronunciation already) and maybe Wat Sisaket. The guidebooks say to dress modestly. I'm pretty sure my travel wardrobe mostly involves ripped jeans and band t-shirts. This is going to be entertaining. Also, I think I need to be there earlyish to avoid the crowds. Earlyish is relative, considering how long it's taken me to get out of bed for the past year, and if I'm honest, I'm still riding the mango high, so getting up early might be a problem.
- Mid-morning: Tuk-Tuk Terror and Lost in Translation: Okay. So I need to find means of transportation to go there. I'd better be nice and polite to the tuk-tuk drivers, seeing as their livelihoods depend on my touristy self. Attempt to negotiate a price. Fail miserably. Probably end up paying too much. Get hopelessly lost. End up somewhere completely different than planned. This is guaranteed to happen.
- Afternoon: The Mekong's Muddy Charm: Today, I'm determined to spend some time by the big river itself. Wander down to the banks, find a quiet spot, people-watch. The Mekong is supposed to be beautiful, even muddy. I like a little mud, anyway. Find a cafe by the river, drink some iced coffee, and probably end up writing in a notebook.
- Evening: Food, Glorious Food (and a potential stomach ache): Okay, the food. Oh, the food. I'm picturing sticky rice, laap, maybe some pho (I'll practice the pronunciation beforehand, I swear). I will, inevitably, eat too much. I will, inevitably, try something I'm not sure about. I could end up with a blissful food coma or a situation that requires a frantic search for the nearest pharmacy. It's a gamble. But a delicious one!
Day 3: Elephant Sanctuary or Bust (and Maybe a Panic Attack)
- Morning: The Elephant Dilemma and the Great Backpack Panic: I probably will want to go to an elephant sanctuary. The guidebooks are all over it. But I’ve heard that some places aren't ethical, and I don't want to ride an elephant. That would break my heart. So, serious research is required. Find a reputable place. Pray it isn't booked solid. Pack the perfect backpack, only to realize I've forgotten something crucial – like sunscreen or, you know, my passport. Start and stop packing repeatedly as I contemplate all the things that can go wrong.
- Afternoon: (Hopefully) Elephant Encounters: If the sanctuary plan works out, this will be the highlight. If not, I'll be sulking by the hotel pool (if there even IS a pool). If I do see elephants, it'll probably involve a lot of "Awwwww"s and inappropriate selfie-taking. Try real hard to not be that tourist.
- Evening: Last Supper (and a Possible Meltdown): The last night. Dinner. Pack. Reflect. Start panicking about my flight home. Worry about how much I overspent. Worry about getting my laundry done. Maybe I will order a last Beer Lao and toast to the fact that I survived. Decide that I should definitely, 100%, return to Laos someday.
Final Thought (and a confession):
This itinerary is more like a suggestion than a plan. Expect chaos. Expect me to get lost. Expect me to eat too much delicious food and maybe cry a little when I have to leave. Most of this is going to be about the small moments, the unexpected encounters, and the sheer, glorious, messy experience of being somewhere new. I'll report back. Wish me luck! And maybe send a mango. I'm still thinking about that damn mango.
(P.S. I’m probably going to end up sleeping in. Don't tell anyone.)
OMG! Adorable Koala-Themed Room in France! (Vitry-sur-Seine Steal!)
Okay, so... Vientiane? Really *that* paradise? My IG feed is full of Bali, you know?
Alright, alright, hold on a sec, Insta-Hype-Junkie. Look, Vientiane isn't *Bali*. Thank GOD. (Seriously, the crowds in Bali make me break out in hives.) It's… calmer. It's sleepy. It’s got this slow, languid vibe that actually, *genuinely* allows you to breathe. You know? Remember breathing? And yes, there's a Mekong sunset that’ll slap your jaw open. Not *quite* as picture-perfect as those staged Bali shots, mind you. There are power lines. Stray puppies. But that, my friend, is real. And sometimes, real is way better. I went there expecting… well, frankly, I wasn’t sure what I was expecting. Maybe a bit more action? But after a few days, I was hooked. Less "look at me!" and more "wow, look at *this*."
What's the absolute BEST thing about Vientiane, in your super humble opinion? (And you can't say "the food," because, duh.)
Okay, Mr. Smarty Pants! I'll try to keep it non-food-related... but *gah* that food. Okay, okay. The BEST thing? The *pace*. Honestly. You can actually… *relax*. You can wander around ancient temples in your sweaty t-shirt (because it’s HOT) without a swarm of tour groups breathing down your neck. You can sit on a street corner, drink a Beerlao (which, by the way, is dangerously good), and just… watch. The world passes by, slower than you're used to. It's like hitting the "pause" button on whatever crazy-busy life you've got going on. And yeah, I know, that sounds super basic. But trust me, in a world that's constantly screaming for your attention, the *lack* of shouting is the victory. It was exactly what I needed, even if I didn't realize it until I was knee-deep in sticky rice.
Okay, so the food... spill the beans. What should I pig out on (besides the obvious)?
Right. The food. *Sigh*. Where do I even begin? Forget the diet, folks. You HAVE to get your hands on some Khao Piak Sen (rice noodle soup). It's like a hug in a bowl. Seriously, it cured my existential angst (I’m not even kidding). Then there's the Laap. It's a minced meat salad, full of herbs and chili... pure flavor explosion! Oh, and the baguette sandwiches – these are HUGE. Get the one with the pate . Just… trust me. And street food? Don't even THINK about being a snob. I ate EVERYTHING. Probably shouldn't admit that. I’m still alive, though. And the fruit shakes… My GOD, the fruit shakes. Mango, passion fruit… pure, delicious, liquid sunshine. And try the sticky rice with mango. It's what dreams are made of. Okay, I'm drooling now.
What are the *must-see* sights? I don't have ALL day, you know.
Okay, here’s the slightly-more-touristy stuff. But even *these* are pretty chill. First off, Pha That Luang, the golden stupa. It's HUGE, it's shiny, and it's impressive. Get there early to avoid the crowds (because, you know, it's still touristy). Then there's Patuxai, the victory gate. It's a little weird, actually… looks a bit like the Arc de Triomphe but with a Lao twist. Climb to the top for some views (and the inevitable sweat). And Wat Si Saket? The place is *packed* with tiny little Buddha statues. It's really something. Oh, and the COPE Visitor Centre. This is a MUST. It's about the UXO (unexploded ordnance) that's a real problem in Laos. It's sobering and a bit brutal, but important. And it's good to know about. You will leave with a new appreciation for life, and a deep pang of sadness. Don't skip it. Seriously. (And bring tissues. I did.) Also... the Buddha Park (Xieng Khuan) is a bit of a trek, but the sculptures are crazy and unique.
Speaking of the Mekong, what's the deal with the river? Is it really that magical?
The Mekong. Yeah, it's… well, it’s the Mekong. It's not going to turn you into a poet overnight. But it's a powerful thing. You can get a sunset cruise (touristy, but enjoyable). You can just find a spot on the riverbank and watch the fishermen. Or, you can do what I did: sit at a riverside café and drink beer until the sun dips below the horizon and the sky turns all fiery colors. It's a slow, steady, humbling sort of beauty. I remember feeling... a weird sense of peace. And then I realized I was completely alone, and briefly panicked. And then I drank more Beerlao. (It was a good evening.) The river just… *flows*. Regardless of whatever chaos is happening in your life. It's a good reminder.
Okay, let's talk logistics. How do I get there? What about money? How do I get around? The boring stuff.
Right. Practicalities. Getting there: Fly into Wattay International Airport (VTE). It's a pretty easy airport, though I did manage to get my bag stuck in an X-ray machine once (don't ask). Money: Lao Kip (LAK). ATMs are available, but bring some USD; it's always good to have. And the exchange rates… well, they change. Constantly. Just try not to worry too much. Getting around: Tuk-tuks are your best friend. Bargain, and bargain HARD. They'll try to rip you off, but it's part of the game. Taxis are okay too (though sometimes the drivers seem to have a death wish). And walking? It's a *must*, to really see the place. Just be prepared to sweat. Bike rental? Totally. The city is pretty flat, so it’s an easy way to see everything. Wear sunscreen, though! I got a terrible sunburn on my first day. Looked like a boiled lobster.
Accommodation: Hotels, hostels, what's the vibe? I'm on a budget, but I don't want to share a room with a snoring badger.
Accommodation… Ah, the never-ending quest for the perfect sleep situation. Vientiane has options. Hostels areExplore Hotels

